Coach Kinsey: Does God Have a Personal Word for You?

Does God Have a Personal Word for You?



“God told me  He is going to heal you.”
“God told me  That you are my future wife.”
“God told me  To be a missionary in Africa.”
“God told me  To leave my job.”

Have you heard people say similar things with utter conviction and sincerity? Do you take such statements as fact?  I mean, when someone says, “God told me,” it makes it hard to argue with doesn’t it?  What if God really did say that to them?

My point is not to argue the legitimacy of such statements, rather, I want to ask the deeper question, “Does God still speak personal words to people today?”

Don’t we need to clear that up first?

If the answer is “no” then we don’t have to give any weight to what others say that “God said.” (Unless of course, they are quoting scripture!)

If the answer is “yes” then, well, aren’t we compelled to at least consider the words that others claim are prompted by God?

If God still speaks to people today, don’t you want to know when, where, why, how, and to whom?  Does He have a personal word for you, for me?

If He is speaking, I want to be the first in line to hear what He has to say?  Don’t you?

In my childhood church it was very common to hear the words “The Lord told me.”  Those words weren’t questioned much.

As an adult, I’ve mostly hung around people who only hear from the Lord through Scripture.  It’s a much safer place to hang out.  If it’s not spelled out in the Bible, then, well, you are treading dangerous ground.

What if both of these extremes are just that, extremes?

I mean, come on, God spoke to countless individuals in the Bible.  Did he just stop speaking after the Bible was written? Is the Bible God’s “last word?”

Is your heart asking questions now?  Is your interest peaked?  We’ll talk more about this next time.  I hope to provide you some sound answers.

Until then, May the Lamb that was slain receive the rewards of His sufferings.

Don't miss the next post in this series. Click here to subscribe!

©Kinsey Oglesby, July 2015 

2 comments:

  1. YOU have a way with you, gal. Engaging and provocative. I like your style.
    And what kind of a rig do you use to do the videotaping while looking straight into the camera.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great questions to consider, Kinsey. Thanks for voicing them, and I can't wait to read your next post. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete