Coach Kinsey: I Haven’t Always Loved My Husband: True Confession of a Preacher’s Wife

I Haven’t Always Loved My Husband: True Confession of a Preacher’s Wife


I haven’t always loved my husband; in fact, I’m going to say that my love meter for some thirty years pointed mostly to my side.  The love I had for the Preacher was grossly polluted with my own motives – to get my own needs met. Sigh.

But God took me to the spiritual woodshed; He let me know that my expectations for the Preacher were way out of balance. Way wrong.

“You are blaming him for your pain Kinsey,” said Abba.  “So much of your pain has to do with your identity, your self-talk, your faulty beliefs, your childhood wounds.  These are not the Preacher’s to heal.  Come to me, sit at my feet and let me help you navigate the dark places of your soul.”

Broken, desperate, and scared, I held out my heart to Abba.  He gently took my heart, took me, into His loving arms and began rounds of correcting, teaching, loving, nurturing, and healing.  The process was both painful and sweet; He was always so patient, tender, and kind to me.  He loved on me in my most unlovely places.  Slowly I began to believe and relax in His love. In time, a song of joy bubbled forth; I found Jesus to be the true lover of my soul.

I gave the Preacher a Get out of Jail Free Card.  He’s no longer a prisoner to my needs.  He is loved without any strings attached because of what Jesus has done and continues to do in me.

The Preacher’s singing a new song too. Smile.

I write this post today in celebration of our 37th Anniversary. July 21, 2015.


Preacher and Me:  Happy in Love



Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love,
so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives. 
 Psalm 90:14 NLT



6 comments:

  1. Such an encouragement, Kinsey. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And I love the smiles on both your faces - they say everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Thanks for making such a great difference. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tribute to love, God's love for us and the privilege He gives us of loving our spouse as a reflection of that love. Thanks for this wonderful encouragement. And Happy Anniversary to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Kinsey. It's from real people sharing real experience that we all grow! So much in here for marrieds of every stage!

    ReplyDelete